Philippines, Thailand, Malaysia cost comparison

JustGo

Dec 24, 2023
Hualien, Taiwan
Three weeks in PH: $586 ($304 on lodging, $133 on food)
Three weeks in TH: $620 ($313 on lodging, $169 on food)
Three weeks in MY: $705 ($389 on lodging, $234 on food)

Malaysia really isn't more expensive than Thailand or the Philippines; I simply pursue a superior geomaxxing experience these days, versus slumming it in PH.

Lately, many hotels in Malacca are offering absurdly large discounts on rooms in an attempt to lure Chinese visitors into visiting the city for an extended holiday. $9.75/night for a queen room with private bath, 7/10 rated hotel, weekend rate, taxes & fees included. The key is make reservations only one or two days out; hotels heading into the weekend with an empty reservation sheet will slash rates out of desperation, often as much as 75%.
IMG 20240121 124227 HDR
What a sad little abandoned traincar...

what were you eating in philippines? the local food is so garbage i eat only western food here

i think it’s easier to spend less on food in thailand cuz the local food is actually good

what were you eating in philippines? the local food is so garbage i eat only western food here

i think it’s easier to spend less on food in thailand cuz the local food is actually good
Yeah, after time in other SEA countries, your palate will get used to the higher standard of food flavor & quality, and it would be tough to go back to enjoying food flavored only with soy sauce, salt and MSG. But when you are hungry AF and have eaten nothing but crackers and canned/boxed food for days before arriving in the country, Philippine food tastes pretty damn good. Some Philippine cooks take pride in their unique flavors & creations as well...but you have to hit the pavement and seek them out. I rarely walk past a food setup without inspecting it...and when you inspect scores of food setups every day, invariably you will stumble upon some dishes which are much better than others.

All else being equal, the less I pay for food the more I will enjoy it - this mentality works very well in PH. Paypigs are the opposite, they enjoy food more when they spend more on it...which is why they hate PH food across the board.

Three weeks in PH: $586 ($304 on lodging, $133 on food)
Three weeks in TH: $620 ($313 on lodging, $169 on food)
Three weeks in MY: $705 ($389 on lodging, $234 on food)

Malaysia really isn't more expensive than Thailand or the Philippines; I simply pursue a superior geomaxxing experience these days, versus slumming it in PH.

Lately, many hotels in Malacca are offering absurdly large discounts on rooms in an attempt to lure Chinese visitors into visiting the city for an extended holiday. $9.75/night for a queen room with private bath, 7/10 rated hotel, weekend rate, taxes & fees included. The key is make reservations only one or two days out; hotels heading into the weekend with an empty reservation sheet will slash rates out of desperation, often as much as 75%.
View attachment 4312
What a sad little abandoned traincar...
Thanks for the info, this is good stuff to know.

ahhh thats cause you gotta baby tummy bitch. Where is that blackness when the spicy food comes around bro? LOL. Don't tell me this white boy is spicer than you@!!!!!!

Yeah, after time in other SEA countries, your palate will get used to the higher standard of food flavor & quality, and it would be tough to go back to enjoying food flavored only with soy sauce, salt and MSG. But when you are hungry AF and have eaten nothing but crackers and canned/boxed food for days before arriving in the country, Philippine food tastes pretty damn good. Some Philippine cooks take pride in their unique flavors & creations as well...but you have to hit the pavement and seek them out. I rarely walk past a food setup without inspecting it...and when you inspect scores of food setups every day, invariably you will stumble upon some dishes which are much better than others.

All else being equal, the less I pay for food the more I will enjoy it - this mentality works very well in PH. Paypigs are the opposite, they enjoy food more when they spend more on it...which is why they hate PH food across the board.
but..but....salt, soyasauce and msg are the best!!!! LOL

ahhh thats cause you gotta baby tummy bitch. Where is that blackness when the spicy food comes around bro? LOL. Don't tell me this white boy is spicer than you@!!!!!!
thai food is spicier than filipino food lol

i hate filipino food cuz 99% of it is cooked in motor oil

IMG 20240126 140425 HDR
Melaka is helping Malaysia push Thailand out of the top spot when it comes to best value for cost. Melaka mogs Khon Kaen with its historic core, friendly locals, nighttime street scene, world-class riverfront, plentiful walking spaces, coastal attractions, and a greater selection of dining & lodging choices. The bar scene in Melaka arguably beats Khon Kaen, with quaint bars lined along the river versus generic modern drinking establishments scattered around a few random streets. Remarkably, bar prices in Malacca are on par with Khon Kaen; but there is a noticeable lack of bargirls here.

Khon Kaen beats out Melaka in having 50% cheaper retail beer, good weed, cooming opportunities, and a dry climate in winter.

There was a hassle with the room, however, as the prepaid rate through an anonymous third-party travel agency claimed to include all taxes and fees. But the hotel owner, a few hours after check-in, told me that his wife forgot to collect the Malaysian tourism fee and Malacca's heritage tax, which were to be paid in cash on arrival.

Tourism fee collection is not enforced here in Malacca, unlike Kuala Lumpur. The Melaka state government runs interference for the city's struggling hotels. The hotel owner got upset when I glimpsed my reservation on his screen and saw that he was only getting $15.70 for my two-night stay. In the end, I decided not to be a Jew and covered the obscenely large 20% booking commission by paying the "tourism fee".

Last edited:
That is very cheap. I am guessing its not capitals.
Big cities in SEA aren't inherently pricier than small cities; however, they do offer far more premium-tier experiences, so the temptation to spend more money is powerful. This is where I chose to stay in Bangkok this time around; it's a lodging house tucked away in a very typical Thai neighborhood. The corner restaurant and the local shopowners are very friendly. Only 435 baht per night booked online, $12.15 USD. I love how quiet this city is when you go just 150 yards from the horrendously loud thoroughfare.

Screenshot 2024 03 03 151629

Big cities in SEA aren't inherently pricier than small cities; however, they do offer far more premium-tier experiences, so the temptation to spend more money is powerful. This is where I chose to stay in Bangkok this time around; it's a lodging house tucked away in a very typical Thai neighborhood. The corner restaurant and the local shopowners are very friendly. Only 435 baht per night booked online, $12.15 USD. I love how quiet this city is when you go just 150 yards from the horrendously loud thoroughfare.

View attachment 4934
Yeah I spent a lot in Bangkok... Rip my card

View attachment 4934
Would this mean more travelling and less dating? Due to smaller population size.

Im talking Melaka

Would this mean more travelling and less dating? Due to smaller population size.

Im talking Melaka
If you are fine with cold approaches, there are lots of people on the street in central Malacca, particularly on weekends.
It's still one of the most walkable and aesthetic cities in SEA.

If you are fine with cold approaches, there are lots of people on the street in central Malacca, particularly on weekends.
It's still one of the most walkable and aesthetic cities in SEA.
My friend kept shilling me this city, however he decided not to go there.
I feel the culture barrier and english can be too huge.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back