Is Laos worth it?

JustGo

Dec 24, 2023
Hualien, Taiwan
One of the biggest hassles of Southeast Asia is the strict rules governing tourist visits, such as proof of onward travel and 30-day stay limits (with very high costs for immigration services). A foreign guy I talked to in the Philippines said that his six month extension cost him 10,000 pesos, plus a 3000 peso fee for expedition. That's 230 dollars!

My Thailand stay expires January 4th, but my departure flight to Kuala Lumpur has no fee for date changes. It's tempting to hop across the border and pay $40 to get a 30 day Laotian visa. After re-entering Thailand in February, I would get 15 days in country before I have to catch my (postponed) flight to Malaysia.

Alternately, I can pay $54 for a 30 day visa-free extension in Thailand. It's the comfiest option, as there is an immigration office here in Khon Kaen, and I don't have to deal with the ordeal of traveling either north to Vientiane (250 km) or south to Bangkok (450 km) after New Year's Day.

The weather is a major factor in postponing Malaysia. With this dry winter air coming down from China, it is so amazingly comfortable up here. My room is 74 degrees with the balcony door open right now; I haven't used the A/C since I arrived. Why not enjoy this weather as long as it lasts?

Attachments

• IMG_20231226_103033.jpg
    IMG_20231226_103033.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 6
khon kaen is nice i was there last year right before christmas

girls in laos aren’t that good and dating apps are pretty much dead. but they have high speed chinese trains if you’re interested in infrastructure and some nice waterfalls

many people stay indefinitely in malaysia on tourist visas just leaving the country for a day without any repercussions

Never been to Laos but I might go next year.

I'm going to do 90 days in Thailand then decide.

I'll probably just end up flying straight to Danang in Vietnam. I want to spend some time in Hanoi as well.

I always come to Thailand with a 60 day visa then extend 30 days.

Never been to Laos but I might go next year.

I'm going to do 90 days in Thailand then decide.

I'll probably just end up flying straight to Danang in Vietnam. I want to spend some time in Hanoi as well.

I always come to Thailand with a 60 day visa then extend 30 days.
they still have 60 day visas? i thought it ended last year

they still have 60 day visas? i thought it ended last year
Yeah, in Thailand they've always kept the 60 day e visa.

Beginning of this year it was the Education visa they stopped because of all the Chinese scammers. They've brought it back now though.

I've always come out to Thailand with my 60 days. Never any trouble at immigration.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back