Story I learned to speak fluent Spanish in 1 year (700 hours). Story/AMA

fjor2096

Aug 20, 2022
This is a testimony to refold.la and immersion methods.

Basically what I did was get the basics down. Then I did extreme reading (80% reading to listening ratio) and then swapped those around after I read my first 20ish books.

Finished a call on discord with one of my Hispanic friends and I was able to understand him 100% and converse in a way that it didn't take a lot of effort for us to understand each other.

These are the time estimates for most popular languages:

Spanish, French, Portuguese: 960 hours
German, Indonesian: 1,440 hours
Russian, Polish, Thai, Vietnamese: 1,760 hours
Chinese, Japanese, Korean, Arabic: 3,520 hours
3520 hours holy shit lol

Big barrier to entry for foreigners. Lack of competition

Basically what I did was get the basics down. Then I did extreme reading (80% reading to listening ratio) and then swapped those around after I read my first 20ish books.

Finished a call on discord with one of my Hispanic friends and I was able to understand him 100% and converse in a way that it didn't take a lot of effort for us to understand each other.
Imma learn it too so i can larp as hispanic

Would you move to a Spanish speaking country?

Imma learn it too so i can larp as hispanic
Are you curry and trying to racemaxx? Honestly I'd feel like you would drop points if you told people you were hispanic (although it can be high iq if you're applying to jobs or college).

Yeah, keep in mind that at 3 hours a day after 3 years you'd be set. It seems tedious but after the basics it won't seem so hard due to all those languages (except Arabic) having a lot of fun content to immerse in.
Just do 3 hours per day for 3 years bro!

Jokes aside you’d be set for life then.

Imagine how rare and like gold, a fluent Japanese white guy would be in japan….

Yeah and then you'd learn Korean and Chinese faster too

the languages are similar?
Once you get the experience of learning a second language the third one is significantly easier even if it's not related.

That being said, Korean has similar grammar to Japanese, you can pretty much translate them 1:1 most times.
60% of Korean vocabulary has its roots in Chinese so if you know Chinese and know the corresponding Hanzi to Hangul you can get free vocabulary.
Japanese and Chinese share thousands of characters and most compound words are written the same way (using the same characters).

Are you curry and trying to racemaxx? Honestly I'd feel like you would drop points if you told people you were hispanic (although it can be high iq if you're applying to jobs or college).
Turk and curry

How does European Spanish differ from Latino Spanish?

You probably rot in english/ watch tv shows in english for 3 hours a day anyways.

Just lern the basic and then start replacing that with the language you want to learn. That way you will get to 3 hours a day easily (unless you are really a busy guy)

Thats basically how all foreigners learn english tbh

which category I language is the best to learn first?

fsi-language-difficulty-ranking.png

IMO Spanish is probably easiest to learn and most useful (I did a bit on duolingo and it seems very easy to pick up).

I learned some French due to growing up in Canada so I could probably pick it up quicker due to the constant exposure.

IMO Spanish is probably easiest to learn and most useful (I did a bit on duolingo and it seems very easy to pick up).

I learned some French due to growing up in Canada so I could probably pick it up quicker due to the constant exposure.
What did you find to be the most challenging parts of learning a romance language? Is it the grammar / gender / word order?

What did you find to be the most challenging parts of learning a romance language? Is it the grammar / gender / word order?
With French the word order and gender conjugations are a bit confusing/annoying because it seems vocabulary based rather than rules based.

Spanish doesn't really have word order issues as much but it seems to be more gendered. So overall as long as you learn the vocab I think Spanish is probably easier. Also Spanish speakers are probably not going to shit on you for having the wrong accent.

If you speak French with the wrong accent (Parisian in Quebec or vice versa) the locals seem to treat you like an Anglo shitter regardless.

Spanish and French are the most useful, however French takes a few hundred more hours to learn than Spanish due to liasons + not being as phonetic as spanish. For geomaxxing purposes Spanish is best followed by Portuguese (Portuguese is slightly hard, although probably not that noticable -- they have a few more verb conjugations that in Spanish are archaic or only used in literature).

i have languages: arabic, english, italian and frensh.
i probably should learn spanish or some asian language aswell but too lazy to spend over 20 hours reading some chinkoid words. seems like a ton of effort tbh.
Russian, Polish, Thai, Vietnamese: 1,760 hours
this is probably the most worth it tbh.
can geomaxx to EE and also some parts of asia, seems like a good investment.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 3, Members: 0, Guests: 3)

Back