How do you stay in SEA long-term?? (VISA)

SurelyAtSomePoint

Jun 23, 2023
I plan to spend the next 5-10 years in SEA, specifically Vietnam, Thailand or the Philippines. I have remote income.

Now when I research how to stay in SEA-countries for longer than 1-3 months it seems to be impossible through tourist visas for the most part unless you do visa runs every month, which is not only annoying af but that eventually the officials catch up.

For the Philippines apparently you can get an extention for up to 6 months on your tourist VISA and then you could theoretically VISA run, but I read if you do it too often you get flagged by the government.

So for those of you who spent long periods of time in SEA, how did you do it??

doesnt thailand have a digital nomad visa? You can just get that and then use it to get citizenship after staying for a few years

doesnt thailand have a digital nomad visa? You can just get that and then use it to get citizenship after staying for a few years
My profession is too unconventional to pull that off. I'd have to declare the income as something else. If anyone has experience with this lmk

I plan to spend the next 5-10 years in SEA, specifically Vietnam, Thailand or the Philippines. I have remote income.

Now when I research how to stay in SEA-countries for longer than 1-3 months it seems to be impossible through tourist visas for the most part unless you do visa runs every month, which is not only annoying af but that eventually the officials catch up.

For the Philippines apparently you can get an extention for up to 6 months on your tourist VISA and then you could theoretically VISA run, but I read if you do it too often you get flagged by the government.

So for those of you who spent long periods of time in SEA, how did you do it??
I just plan on being in the philippines for a few months tbh.

In the Philippines you can stay up to 36 months without ever leaving as long as you keep paying for your visa extensions. I don't know who told you it's only 6 months but they're wrong. After 36 months you can do a border run and it will reset the 36 months to day 1. So in practice, the Philippines pretty much allows you to stay indefinitely.

Then there's also what KingWigga said about shell companies. Less recommendable than just extending your tourist visa but it would be required if you plan to get a Filipino driver's license or open a bank account. In theory everything you'll read on the internet will say you can still get a license or a bank account with a ACR-I card, but in my own experience not a single LTO I tried wanted to convert my Québec license into a Filipino unless I had a permanent residency, same for opening a bank account. The Philippines is full of these bureaucratic bullshit inconsistencies everywhere.

In the Philippines you can stay up to 36 months without ever leaving as long as you keep paying for your visa extensions. I don't know who told you it's only 6 months but they're wrong. After 36 months you can do a border run and it will reset the 36 months to day 1. So in practice, the Philippines pretty much allows you to stay indefinitely.

Then there's also what KingWigga said about shell companies. Less recommendable than just extending your tourist visa but it would be required if you plan to get a Filipino driver's license or open a bank account. In theory everything you'll read on the internet will say you can still get a license or a bank account with a ACR-I card, but in my own experience not a single LTO I tried wanted to convert my Québec license into a Filipino unless I had a permanent residency, same for opening a bank account. The Philippines is full of these bureaucratic bullshit inconsistencies everywhere.
Thanks a lot for this comment. This is what I was hoping for. Cheers

based frognigger

Just go to the Philippines. Easiest Visas for the foreseeable future in SEA.

Other countries will require your creativity. Either you need to actually work there, invest big bucks or possibly school there to get something long term.
The problem with the philippines is the extremely expensive visa extension fees. If they priced their visas as the same as Vietnam, etc. It would be the best place overall.

The problem with the philippines is the extremely expensive visa extension fees. If they priced their visas as the same as Vietnam, etc. It would be the best place overall.
of course it's a way to milk $ out of foreigners. I remember paying like 200 USD to extend my visa, but you can only get the 3 month extension after extending for 1 month and a 6 month extension after the 3 month extension. You save more as you keep extending, but it still costs quite a bit.

of course it's a way to milk $ out of foreigners. I remember paying like 200 USD to extend my visa, but you can only get the 3 month extension after extending for 1 month and a 6 month extension after the 3 month extension. You save more as you keep extending, but it still costs quite a bit.
200 dollars is nothing but to poor pinoys its a lot

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back