Advice Programmarcels: Am I making a mistake by going into stem / compsci?

fjor2096

Aug 20, 2022
I know it's giga saturated at the moment but it seems to be the best area for geomaxxing potential. I'm midly autistic and have slightly above average iq although im not a genius or anything.

What I'm seeing right now 4-years in as a developer is about half of the new people we hire copied their way through school and can't operate well in an environment where they have to come up with a solution to a problem without much external help.

What I'm seeing right now 4-years in as a developer is about half of the new people we hire copied their way through school and can't operate well in an environment where they have to come up with a solution to a problem without much external help.
So go through a training in a firm instead of university?

So go through a training in a firm instead of university?
Even after you exit uni and know what you're doing you need a bare minimum a month of learning the development environment/tools and application structure before you can do anything productive for the company that hired you.

The value of a uni degree is it gets you get past the HR filter. Realistically, you can just lie about your education and get hired anyways. Nobody ever checks.

thats literally every industry now.

credentials are increasingly just to get past HR to the actual decision makers, as you have said

Linux skills are always in demand and people come out of university braindead when interacting with a Linux terminal so the better you are at doing shit that has to be done on a Linux terminal (usually relating to servicing web applications or databases and security policy), the better it will be for you IMO.

Linux skills are always in demand and people come out of university braindead when interacting with a Linux terminal so the better you are at doing shit that has to be done on a Linux terminal (usually relating to servicing web applications or databases and security policy), the better it will be for you IMO.
I've used different ubuntu distros as my main drivers and completely different families like arch and fedora so I'm somewhat familiar

I've used different ubuntu distros as my main drivers and completely different families like arch and fedora so I'm somewhat familiar
Red hat/fedora/centos and debian are probably the most useful distros to be comfortable in. Arch is also good because developers will tend to use it if they have a Linux development environment.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back