Geomax Foreign language learning compared

Marco Pumpo

40+ countries travelled
Apr 18, 2024
For those dreamers among you who think they're gonna move to China and learn Chinese and then to Japan and learn Japanese: Keep in mind that while learning 1 of such languages you could learn 3 Germanic/Romanic languages instead!

Data Source: Foreign Service Institute
A4gg2op6vvd31

Fsi foreign service institute language difficulty

spanish + malasyan/indonesian would be efficient

cba to learn chinese/japanese/korean tbh

already speak korean and thai

shouldn’t be too hard to learn mandarin. i’ve noticed a few words in thai carry over to chinese. prob due to their influence

like horse is the same in both

fuck learning euro leanguages. only thing i’d do is russian so i can also communicate with people in mongolia and central asia

fuck learning euro leanguages. only thing i’d do is russian so i can also communicate with people in mongolia and central asia
You went there when you was young, so it was easier for you. Avg person here geomaxxed/will geomax in late 20s or early 30s, so it won't be as easy for them.

That said, everyone should try to learn basics in whatever place the happen to travel.

You went there when you was young, so it was easier for you. Avg person here geomaxxed/will geomax in late 20s or early 30s, so it won't be as easy for them.

That said, everyone should try to learn basics in whatever place the happen to travel.

View attachment 5892
The more languages you know the easier it is to learn new ones. Plus you have higher IQ as an adult, and already know what you're doing when it comes to studying languages. Learning a language is piss easy at any age. I speak English, Hungarian, German, Japanese, and it takes me only a few months to become conversationally fluent. This is the smallest barrier to geomaxing, everyone here can do the same.

The more languages you know the easier it is to learn new ones. Plus you have higher IQ as an adult, and already know what you're doing when it comes to studying languages. Learning a language is piss easy at any age. I speak English, Hungarian, German, Japanese, and it takes me only a few months to become conversationally fluent. This is the smallest barrier to geomaxing, everyone here can do the same.
IMG 2032

I will learn Spanish and Korean (when I can be bothered)

u should become a travel vlogger or something
it took me like 4 months to even listen to spanish
doesnt it take most poeple like a decade to learn japanese
its true though it does get easier the more u do it. the hardest part is just making ur brain not go into auto pilot mode listening to foreign language

spanish + malasyan/indonesian would be efficient

cba to learn chinese/japanese/korean tbh

I will learn Spanish and Korean (when I can be bothered)
I learned Spanish and it was a total game changer for Latin America.
However, learning a language is not like swimming or riding a bike. You lose it if you don't practice. So I'm glad I chose an easy language that opens many doors.

Indonesian is the easiest Asian language, but the vocabulary is completely different from European languages which makes it hard to remember.

Becoming able to make basic conversation is certainly manageable in any language. Also it's worth mentioning that the data also covers writing which is a nightmare in Chinese and Japanese. If you just stick to talking it gets a few levels easier.

For those dreamers among you who think they're gonna move to China and learn Chinese and then to Japan and learn Japanese: Keep in mind that while learning 1 of such languages you could learn 3 Germanic/Romanic languages instead!

View attachment 5857

View attachment 5856
eh im happy with my languages and there's alot of angels to take and it all depends on your brain and how you are personally are wired. I know that model doesnt work for me as a dyslexic my brain prefers different alphabets and patterns to learn to prevent shit grammar and switching mistakes and sounding 12.

My polyglot journey started very young though and I'll lay out my story. At age 9 i arrived at my first boarding school, a small hippie school where you where graded on grit and effort over tests and scores [great for those who thrive in that system; turns the rest into druggie burnouts tbh]. when i got there my grade 5 class was 12 kids and only 5 boys. 2 white americans from the mountains and 3 boys from Seoul. i won't lie me and my life long best friend were probs not the best for them as we learned more Korean then they did english as we found it more useful as we could talk behind peoples backs in front of them. The Korean language has always came natural to me and I credit that to me learning it such an impressionable age.

Fastforward to secondary school and i understand french and spanish a bit [but its dicey] from growing up near quebec and spending many many weekends there and the abundance of Wetbacks that overrun American life even so far North as I was. But to be honest im useless at both in terms of structure and format and really just translate them in my head which is the weakest form of language learning and a brick wall to actually learning another tongue. It got to a point at 15 where I had pending scholarships offers for Dartmouth and Harvard for their cross country ski teams so to save my GPA and push for a 4.3 I had to drop langue completely and just tutored Koreans in ELS for my langue credit since I was fluent. I to this day am awful with romance family learning and wouldn't look back for another 6 years and neither of these would be the one that stuck with me.

The next langue I tackled was Japanese and the story behind this one is kinda funny. At 17 we are on a family holiday for easter to Italy [stick a pin in that for later]. I love the country and it is amazing by EU standards. This was the first of many trips to Italy for me and one day I plan on raising my family their. So why am I talking about Japanese on an easter holiday traveling Italy? Because my parents are hard core catholics and the American Cardinals Church in Rome was under construction during easter that year. My parents being the good lil bible thumpers they are find a English langue mass in another countries mission taking the term "When in Rome" to the extreme. We end up in the Japanese mission of all places being sung catholic hymns by a visiting Phillipino Mariachi Band to say it was the oddest time I've ever had pretending to be religious for my parents would be an understatement. It suck with me so much on the flight home I watched the Disney movie Moana in Japanese 8 times and my learning journey began there before moving into naruto and watching one episode in english then the same one 3 times in Japanese first with subs and twice with out. with in 2 years of my personal immersion learning I was spending the summer in Chile for a Japanese Ski Movie Company that wanted a English translator and now flirt in what i call Japenglish when I visit the land of the rising sun cause the girls find it cute when you are fluent and formal with their elders and friends but checky and mix the two at the barstool or in the bedroom.

The final langue I learned as many of you might have guessed by now was Italian. It was 2020 and the world had just shut down and I gave up pro skiing as I didn't know when training would be back and nordic skiing pros make 35-70k [lower end in the USA] a year and we do it for love of sport and travel not glory as there is none to be won so part of the sport is hanging up the boots and poles before you ruin your body grinding it to dust training 35km a day 6 days a week 10.5 months a year. So my life pivot was to sommelier work focusing in wine making techniques and undervalued imports. any somm worth a cork speaks at least one of the mother tongues of wine and i've all ready expressed my mediocrity of grasping the French language and I have also talked a bit about my love of Italy [spent way to much time there both for research/work and relaxation] so it was the natural fit. It took me up until 4 months ago to feel like I have full command over Italian but I feel it was worth it but the hardest for me by along shot.

The last few months I have been learning Russian and honestly I have taken to it better then anything else even Korean. Just two months in and I can jump on a discord call my long time friend from Kazakhstan and spit on pace with him in a conversation for about 45 minutes before my head starts spinning and i tap out which is a wicked pace to start off at but I think its alot to do with my vocal cords from korean already having worked out some of the chords we rarely use in english. I'll keep yall updated on my russian journey.

TLDR: Everyone is different and this chart is just gonna discourage peole+I hope you find something useful in my word salad 👼

Last edited:

View attachment 5857

View attachment 5856
normally, you arent' going to a language quickly if it's not made of the normal alphabet.

for me, with spanish, it was fairly easy. cause the words can be seen in my head. "hola, mi nombre es andres, y tu? que es tu nombre chica mio?"

for example.

but trying to remember a chinese kanchi or whatever the fuck they are called, forgetabout it

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back