Advice Experienced Travelers, What is some good advice for first time solo travelers you have?

Where are you going?

Take pic of your passport info page

Bring like $40 usd for emergency (I only do this when the country requires me to pay for visa on arrival)

Don’t take taxi with the first person that comes up to you at the airport. Walk around a bit

Don’t walk around with your passport on you. Leave it at hotel or wherever you’re staying

Bring a pen on the flight with you in case you have to fill out custom forms. Most flights won’t give you a pen and most people don’t bring one. Is also a good opportunity to talk to girls if you’re sitting next to them and they need to borrow your pen

Try and get SIM card before you leave the airport. It’s usually really hard to get a SIM card when you leave

If you have a laptop don’t put it in checked luggage, bring it with you on the plane. I learnt this the hard way on my trip to Egypt and it was broke when I got to my hotel.

I can keep going just let me know what country you’re going to

Pack light (you can buy clothes and shit on the go) and order a hotel room or bnb after you reach your travel destination. Even though it's going to make things a bit more expensive it's going to save you so much time.

Pack light (you can buy clothes and shit on the go) and order a hotel room or bnb after you reach your travel destination. Even though it's going to make things a bit more expensive it's going to save you so much time.
Why would you wait to get there to get a hotel or Airbnb

I’ve done both where I bought accommodation weeks in advance and on the day I got there. I’d say it’s worse waiting until the day you’re there because mental clutter of worrying about it and paying extra.

I think it’s optional to buy in advance in poorer places but if you want a good deal and nice place to stay in richer countries, necessary to get some place Atleast a few days in advance

Why would you wait to get there to get a hotel or Airbnb

I’ve done both where I bought accommodation weeks in advance and on the day I got there. I’d say it’s worse waiting until the day you’re there because mental clutter of worrying about it and paying extra.

I think it’s optional to buy in advance in poorer places but if you want a good deal and nice place to stay in richer countries, necessary to get some place Atleast a few days in advance
I don't like the idea of waiting to travel. If I wanted to travel somewhere I would prefer to be in my prefered travel destination within 48 hours. I suppose you could book an airbnb whilst you're flying but all that shit takes too long imo.

Where are you going?

Take pic of your passport info page

Bring like $40 usd for emergency (I only do this when the country requires me to pay for visa on arrival)

Don’t take taxi with the first person that comes up to you at the airport. Walk around a bit

Don’t walk around with your passport on you. Leave it at hotel or wherever you’re staying

Bring a pen on the flight with you in case you have to fill out custom forms. Most flights won’t give you a pen and most people don’t bring one. Is also a good opportunity to talk to girls if you’re sitting next to them and they need to borrow your pen

Try and get SIM card before you leave the airport. It’s usually really hard to get a SIM card when you leave

If you have a laptop don’t put it in checked luggage, bring it with you on the plane. I learnt this the hard way on my trip to Egypt and it was broke when I got to my hotel.

I can keep going just let me know what country you’re going to
thanks for the info, im planning on going to guatamalea next summer, well havent made up my mind but im thinking somewhere there maybe

Last edited:
don't bring much luggage if you can help it. I just stuff a backpack with a few clothes/underwear and its good enough for me

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back