Geomax China in Winter?

Marco Pumpo

40+ countries travelled
Apr 18, 2024
i'm trying to figure out if going to china as a winter escape is even worth it. the temperatures look generally disappointing and i even checked the warmest bigger cities already:

2024 07 28 01 06 52 Window

shanghai would interest me most but i'm not keen on shivering my ass off there in winter, so beijing is obviously no option either.

the only bigger cities with fairly warm temperature in january seem to be shenzhen (13-20°), xiamen (12-18°) and guangzhou (11-18°). the others get cold like south europe. beach weather is off the table entirely.

besides that a popular winter destination for chinese is hainan, but the more i read about it the more i believe it rather sucks.

are xiamen or guangzhou worth it in winter?

for shenzhen i wonder if i might as well just to hong kong then and spare me the visa hassle or is it a very different experience?

any opinions on this from china travellers? @AlexBrown84 @marauder @Stellar_Travels @kamster

Last edited:
only places i’ve been to in china during the winter was xiamen and the weather was nice

shenzhen not worth it. not much to do compared to going to hong kong or guangzhou. but if you want a cheap place to stay for hong kong, shenzhen could be good, would be about a 35 minute transit between the two

i'm trying to figure out if going to china as a winter escape is even worth it. the temperatures look generally disappointing and i even checked the warmest bigger cities already:

View attachment 7449

shanghai would interest me most but i'm not keen on shivering my ass off there in winter, so beijing is obviously no option either.

the only bigger cities with fairly warm temperature in january seem to be shenzhen (13-20°), xiamen (12-18°) and guangzhou (11-18°). the others get cold like south europe. beach weather is off the table entirely.

besides that a popular winter destination for chinese is hainan, but the more i read about it the more i believe it rather sucks.

for shenzhen i wonder if i might as well just to hong kong then and spare me the visa hassle or is it a very different experience?

any opinions on this from china travellers? @AlexBrown84 @marauder @Stellar_Travels @kamster
hainan for beaching
guangzhou for everything else

only places i’ve been to in china during the winter was xiamen and the weather was nice
i searched but couldn't find any dedicated reports of yours on these places. what did you like more, xiamen or guangzhou?

shenzhen not worth it. not much to do compared to going to hong kong or guangzhou. but if you want a cheap place to stay for hong kong, shenzhen could be good, would be about a 35 minute transit between the two
okay thanks, i think i will skip on shenzhen then.

hainan for beaching
guangzhou for everything else
i remember you weren't too happy about china. anyway, would you consider going back to guangzhou or china in general at some point? or rather stick to the rest of SEA instead?

i searched but couldn't find any dedicated reports of yours on these places. what did you like more, xiamen or guangzhou?
guangzhou

i recently spent about 2 weeks in xiamen and it was fun, but there’s much more to do in guangzhou, more people, more english speakers, better food

xiamen is for when you want to go somewhere to relax by the sea for a bit

Guangzhou or Hong Kong would be fine, but the quality of girls in Shanghai is way better. Also in Guangzhou/HK, most hotels and houses don’t have heating or proper winter insulation so it’ll actually feel colder inside the house than in Shanghai.

So China gets all four seasons? Wasn’t a huge fan of seeing pretty much every sea country having year long summers.

View attachment 7449

I’d recommend a place with high humidity levels. Anything above 60 is great. Below 50 sucks, dry skin, food tastes worse and you won’t be able to rest properly

I’d recommend a place with high humidity levels. Anything above 60 is great. Below 50 sucks, dry skin, food tastes worse and you won’t be able to rest properly
Sucks when you get wet in the rain and then your shoes, clothes, raingear never dries out in your room because the RH is too high and you don't have a dehumidifier. Shit starts smelling awful after a couple days.

The warmer southern parts of China often get gray and damp in winter, due to the cold air currents from the north clashing with the tropical humidity. Same with northern Taiwan and northern Vietnam. Northern China is cold and arid. Southeast Asia is far superior in the winter months with its hot dry climate; nights in northern Thailand can dip to 11 C during winter months, but you can always count on the tropical sunshine. Southern Taiwan is also very pleasant in the cooler months.

Guangzhou or Hong Kong would be fine, but the quality of girls in Shanghai is way better. Also in Guangzhou/HK, most hotels and houses don’t have heating or proper winter insulation so it’ll actually feel colder inside the house than in Shanghai.
That's a good point. I had the same issue when i was living in spain. First i thought i'd have a nice winter escape but i ended up shivering more than in germany because heating was non-existant or not working.

@Cigarette @JustGo
Actually you are both right about the humidity. It sucks when it's cold because it makes it feel even colder then and things don't dry. But on the other hand i also went to places in south america where the air was so dry that my nose starting bleeding at some point.

That's a good point. I had the same issue when i was living in spain. First i thought i'd have a nice winter escape but i ended up shivering more than in germany because heating was non-existant or not working.

@Cigarette @JustGo
Actually you are both right about the humidity. It sucks when it's cold because it makes it feel even colder then and things don't dry. But on the other hand i also went to places in south america where the air was so dry that my nose starting bleeding at some point.
Yep. I just returned from South America. Place had around 10-22% humidity and it was shit. Nose bleeds, dry skin, lips, red eyes. Impossible to sleep in these conditions I’d rather have over 60% humidity

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back