Would you say Kuala Lumpur is better than Bangkok/SEA?

Stellar_Travels

Mar 10, 2024
I'm thinking about spending the European winter season in SEA but I'm undecided to where to settle exactly. My plan is to stay from mid April to mid October in Russia/Belarus but I don't want to be there during winter.

I know Bangkok well, it used to be my main city when I was traveling to SEA but recently I don't like it as much as before. Kuala Lumpur seems much more developed, green and with a higher standard of living. I'm curious about your experiences...I'm not just looking for girls, it's not a priority in SEA...I'm just looking for a place in SEA to relax and spend some months while it's freezing cold in Moscow. So it has to be cheap enough (specifically good quality condos at cheap prices), good food and restaurant choice, nice fitness clubs, good nightlife (possibly), developed (not shitholes like Philippines or Indonesia or Cambodia), a 24/7 city that feels alive at night.

Singapore and Hong Kong are without a doubt too expensive although I loved Hong Kong when I was there. Tokyo and Seoul are too cold in November-March....so is there a better place than Kuala Lumpur for what I'm looking for?

P.S: I excluded Bali because there are way too many trashy Western tourists and it's overrated as fuck so please don't even mention it

Last edited:
I'm thinking about spending the European winter season in SEA but I'm undecided to where to settle exactly. My plan is to stay from mid April to mid October in Russia/Belarus but I don't want to be there during winter.

I know Bangkok well, it used to be my main city when I was traveling to SEA but recently I don't like it as much as before. Kuala Lumpur seems much more developed, green and with a higher standard of living. I'm curious about your experiences...I'm not just looking for girls, it's not a priority in SEA...I'm just looking for a place in SEA to relax and spend some months while it's freezing cold in Moscow. So it has to be cheap enough (specifically good quality condos at cheap prices), good food and restaurant choice, nice fitness clubs, good nightlife (possibly), developed (not shitholes like Philippines or Indonesia or Cambodia), a 24/7 city that feels alive at night.

Singapore and Hong Kong are without a doubt too expensive although I loved Hong Kong when I was there. Tokyo and Seoul are too cold in November-March....so is there a better place than Kuala Lumpur for what I'm looking for?

P.S: I excluded Bali because there are way too many trashy Western tourists and it's overrated as fuck so please don't even mention it
KL is going to be a serious magnate for travel in the coming years and for business opportunities. First world living at third world costs (for now).

Have you spent time in Taipei? Similar to the other major East Asian cities you mentioned but quite a bit cheaper. Very developed. Lots of outdoor stuff to do.

Yes, if you stay in the city center of KL it feels like being in Singapore. It's very developed but very cheap at the same time. The only thing I don't like much about KL is the nightlife.

I've been in Taipei and I like it but it's not warm enough for me from November to February

Yes, if you stay in the city center of KL it feels like being in Singapore. It's very developed but very cheap at the same time. The only thing I don't like much about KL is the nightlife.

I've been in Taipei and I like it but it's not warm enough for me from November to February
The most modern part of KL is north of Bukit Bintang, which is what passes for nightlife in the city. Chinatown is rather grungy and dirty, albeit heavily touristed. Everything is closed or closing by 11 PM there. Nowhere in Malaysia are there 24 hour cities, but it is very common for Malays to dine out past midnight, especially on weekends.

Personally I'd recommend Melaka, having stayed there almost a month. It's got modern high-rise accomodations, a lovely riverwalk for exercise, riverside bars, lively weekend evenings, tons of food, and historic appeal as well. Prices are lower than KL, and people are friendlier. Penang state is another magnet for foreigners; most white foreigners choose Penang over Melaka.

Can you get around with just English in KL?
In conversation, yes. But it'll help greatly to learn a few words in Bahasa Melaya, primarily words for common foods. Otherwise you'll look at a menu with 100 options and not have the foggiest idea what's what. Most servers will be happy to translate for you, but some might get impatient if you need the whole menu interpreted line by line. daging = beef, kambing = lamb, ikan = fish, ayam = chicken, goreng = fried, nasi = rice, mee = Chinese noodle, maggi = ramen noodle, kuey teow = flat rice noodle, bihun = vermicelli noodle, ais = ice, air = water, teh = tea, panak = hot, sejuk = cold, epal = apple, oren = orange, jus = juice, etc.

Go further south in Taiwan then. Kaohsiung is one example.

Just go where you want, everyones experience is different. For all you know the person screeching about muh chads or this or that is a fat boomer who is threatened by some average looking white normie

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back