Malacca rocks

JustGo

Dec 24, 2023
Hualien, Taiwan
...apart from cooming options. There is no cooming activity in evidence on the street on Saturday night, despite Malacca being Malaysia's New Orleans. I have seen a few foreigners with Malaysian wives, however.
IMG 20240120 191248 HDR1
This city is one of the few tourist destinations I've been where the locals really love visitors. Value for cost is pretty great as well. Bar beers are far cheaper than Kuala Lumpur, and arguably even cheaper than Thailand. Had some happy hour beers at a bar tonight for only 8 RM apiece, under $2. A third the price of Bukit Bintang, and on par with Mexican cantina prices. The numerous riverfront bars charge 12-14 RM for a beer, under $3 at the current exchange rate, and the setting is very appealing. It beats San Antonio's Riverwalk, IMO. My room has a spacious balcony with glass sliding door and rattan privacy shades, located in a quiet neighborhood nestled in a bend of the river. At 11 PM, music and conversation carries across the city from all the bars and night markets, with traffic noise limited to the thoroughfares.

The non-motorized spaces throughout Malacca's city center are amazingly extensive, on par with a world-class European city and far beyond any other city I've visited in Southeast Asia. On Saturday night, virtually the entire historic district is closed to motorized traffic and opened to pedestrians. Even Mexico's famous plazas and paseos hardly measure up to the extensiveness of Malacca's walkable spaces. No FUCKING MOTORBIKES cutting down sidewalks and walkways either, only pedaled tricycles with bright lights, goofy decorations and blaring music that you can hire to cruise around the old town.

Malacca is a very musical city, especially on a Saturday night. Bars, restaurants, buskers, bicycles with loudspeakers, everyone's got some tunes going. Night markets are plentiful; Malacca has many more food stalls and small eateries than Kuala Lumpur, with many unique offerings. White foreigners are surprisingly rare here; Singaporeans, Chinese, and Southeast Asians make up about 97% of the downtown crowd. Because of this, being white means you often get special attention at local joints.

...apart from cooming options. There is no cooming activity in evidence on the street on Saturday night, despite Malacca being Malaysia's New Orleans. I have seen a few foreigners with Malaysian wives, however.
View attachment 4240
This city is one of the few tourist destinations I've been where the locals really love visitors. Value for cost is pretty great as well. Bar beers are far cheaper than Kuala Lumpur, and arguably even cheaper than Thailand. Had some happy hour beers at a bar tonight for only 8 RM apiece, under $2. A third the price of Bukit Bintang, and on par with Mexican cantina prices. The numerous riverfront bars charge 12-14 RM for a beer, under $3 at the current exchange rate, and the setting is very appealing. It beats San Antonio's Riverwalk, IMO. My room has a spacious balcony with glass sliding door and rattan privacy shades, located in a quiet neighborhood nestled in a bend of the river. At 11 PM, music and conversation carries across the city from all the bars and night markets, with traffic noise limited to the thoroughfares.

The non-motorized spaces throughout Malacca's city center are amazingly extensive, on par with a world-class European city and far beyond any other city I've visited in Southeast Asia. On Saturday night, virtually the entire historic district is closed to motorized traffic and opened to pedestrians. Even Mexico's famous plazas and paseos hardly measure up to the extensiveness of Malacca's walkable spaces. No FUCKING MOTORBIKES cutting down sidewalks and walkways either, only pedaled tricycles with bright lights, goofy decorations and blaring music that you can hire to cruise around the old town.

Malacca is a very musical city, especially on a Saturday night. Bars, restaurants, buskers, bicycles with loudspeakers, everyone's got some tunes going. Night markets are plentiful; Malacca has many more food stalls and small eateries than Kuala Lumpur, with many unique offerings. White foreigners are surprisingly rare here; Singaporeans, Chinese, and Southeast Asians make up about 97% of the downtown crowd. Because of this, being white means you often get special attention at local joints.
yeah where are the girls at

yeah where are the girls at
There are tons of rich Chinese tourist kids here in Malacca, the girls with their face-whitening makeup and dainty little outfits. Some of them give me the eyeing, but they are very social creatures, and their boys know better than to let them out of their sight.

Absolute geomaxxing here in the lodging department, however. I'm staying in an executive suite in a brand-new highrise next to the riverfront path. From the 12th floor I can look across the city and see the ships out in the Malacca Straits. It's got a living room with sofa, dining table, kitchenette, plus a work desk in the bedroom with very comfy office chair. Anywhere in America, I'd be shelling out $200+ a night to stay in a suite like this. In Bangkok, it would go for $60. But here in Malacca, it only cost me 95.86 RM ($20.30 USD) per night.

ATMs here haven't charged me any fees for withdrawals...which gives banks zero incentive to put ATMs anywhere. So it can be tough to find an ATM in many neighborhoods. 7-Eleven stores have "Euronet" ATMs, but they do not accept VISA cards, only Mastercard.
have you been to penang? is it good?
Maybe in six weeks or so...
IMG 20240121 185446 HDR1

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back