I need reading advice?

Hard Boiled

Seagull Seancer
Jul 31, 2022
The moment I look at the pages of a book I suddenly get ADHD. How do I make myself read for long periods of time? Is there a certain way you read books that makes it more engaging? I have heard on Youtube that you should take notes when you read. My opinion is that the concept of taking note is generally retarded since you will always miss out potentially important information by condensing the information into note form. However most of the time when I read I forget I always forget what I read. This convinces me that I should write single paragraph summaries of chapters as memory guides whilst note replacing the book. However, I do not consider this alone to be satisfactory to improve my reading skills. My idealistic conception of reading that it is an investigation of the content within the book. Therefore, notetaking is about recording questions, the findings to your questions and recording new insights gained from your research. This would take, for example, a 9 hour book run and turn it into a 30 hour investigation. Would this be taking things to far??

What I'm really asking is how da faq are you meant to read from a post-midwit perspective? When people say dumb shit on the internet like "I only read the subtitles in a book" and "I skim read books" this makes me believe the whole medium of books are an inefficient and outdated way of sharing information. To further add onto this, a lot of the books I do actually read are full of filler, most non fiction books should be 70 page articles rather than 250 page books. This fact allow is the biggest contributor to why I do not like to read.

Note: I will dnr any comments saying "read a little often" my personality only allows me to either completely obesses over one thing for 24 hours straight or procrastinate the task away. I understand I have asked a lot of questions in this thread so only answer the comments you feel comfortably replying too.

The moment I look at the pages of a book I suddenly get ADHD. How do I make myself read for long periods of time? Is there a certain way you read books that makes it more engaging? I have heard on Youtube that you should take notes when you read. My opinion is that the concept of taking note is generally retarded since you will always miss out potentially important information by condensing the information into note form. However most of the time when I read I forget I always forget what I read. This convinces me that I should write single paragraph summaries of chapters as memory guides whilst note replacing the book. However, I do not consider this alone to be satisfactory to improve my reading skills. My idealistic conception of reading that it is an investigation of the content within the book. Therefore, notetaking is about recording questions, the findings to your questions and recording new insights gained from your research. This would take, for example, a 9 hour book run and turn it into a 30 hour investigation. Would this be taking things to far??

What I'm really asking is how da faq are you meant to read from a post-midwit perspective? When people say dumb shit on the internet like "I only read the subtitles in a book" and "I skim read books" this makes me believe the whole medium of books are an inefficient and outdated way of sharing information. To further add onto this, a lot of the books I do actually read are full of filler, most non fiction books should be 70 page articles rather than 250 page books. This fact allow is the biggest contributor to why I do not like to read.

Note: I will dnr any comments saying "read a little often" my personality only allows me to either completely obesses over one thing for 24 hours straight or procrastinate the task away. I understand I have asked a lot of questions in this thread so only answer the comments you feel comfortably replying too.
why read just listen to the audio book no strain on eyes and you will be able to full comprehend the book.

I had to be in a spot where there were no other distractions - typically it ends up being on a camping trip

Ask chatgpt for a summary

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back