anyone been to taipei?

shine

Dec 5, 2023
First post init
Living in Taipei rn, will be living here until summer
If anyone has been here or is here rn lmk,
from uk btw

Taipei is chill been there many times, it’s a really cosy city, much smaller than Seoul/Tokyo. I like to stay in Xinyi right near 101, because that’s where all the major clubs/bars are, so logistically it’s the best place for slayers. Then there’s also other places like Maji square and Ximen which are decent, but the quality of girls in Xinyi is the highest. Also the girls in general are really nice and friendly, and the level of English is similar to Korea and way better than Japan.

I explored a bit around Ximen this evening. Nice cluster of walkable streets, had a good turnout for a Sunday evening. Pic notwithstanding, Taipei is not a crowded city. Sidewalks are huge and uncluttered. The mild temps make it a pleasure to walk around, except when it's thundering and pouring rain of course.
IMG 20240331 210938
Taipei is much less saturated with foreign men than other Southeast Asian cities I've been to. Lots of cuties, some of them with an eye for a bearded white guy (even when with their boyfriend, heh heh). A local guy told me that all the Taiwanese young people come here to study and build their careers. Out in the provinces it's all old people and families.
IMG 20240331 195459
Compared to Thailand's superabundance of eateries, the food scene here is lame...but you can still find clusters of food stalls and cheap eateries like this one near Wuchang Street. Exchange rate is currently around 1 USD : 32 TWD, so that's about $3 a plate. For dinner I bought a large shawarma hoagie with cheese for 100 NT dollars from a street stall; the owner was an immigrant. On the plus side, fat chicks are rare in Taipei, since recreational eating is not a big thing here.
IMG 20240331 201312
At the end of this river park was a food & alcohol court catering to local youth. Draft craft beers were $5.50. These kids aren't poor, that's for sure. You're not gonna slay by flaunting your wealth like a nigger. Overall, young Taiwanese are deferential and rather awkward/uptight in their interactions with foreigners, but if you smile and put yourself out there like Americans are expected to do, you should be able to break the ice.
IMG 20240331 152534
This beef soup was pretty damn good and cost about $4.50. Tender flaky chunks of beef, noodles made in house. Broth wasn't no bouillon bullshit either.

Okay, hotels...they are not as cheap as Southeast Asia, but by Western standards, they are still a good deal. Expect to pay $35/night or more for a proper room anywhere in Taipei. Of course you can deal hunt and find substantial discounts. I have a room booked for tomorrow at a $20/night special rate, but it is across the river in Sanchong, which looks rather dull. And, the rate goes back to the typical $39/night the next day. Might as well cancel it and continue poorfagging in this huge, comfy hostel for $12.50/night. Not that coomers would care about hostels, but there are tons of them here in Taipei. Price does not always correlate to quality.

I explored a bit around Ximen this evening. Nice cluster of walkable streets, had a good turnout for a Sunday evening. Pic notwithstanding, Taipei is not a crowded city. Sidewalks are huge and uncluttered. The mild temps make it a pleasure to walk around, except when it's thundering and pouring rain of course.
View attachment 5505
Taipei is much less saturated with foreign men than other Southeast Asian cities I've been to. Lots of cuties, some of them with an eye for a bearded white guy (even when with their boyfriend, heh heh). A local guy told me that all the Taiwanese young people come here to study and build their careers. Out in the provinces it's all old people and families.
View attachment 5506
Compared to Thailand's superabundance of eateries, the food scene here is lame...but you can still find clusters of food stalls and cheap eateries like this one near Wuchang Street. Exchange rate is currently around 1 USD : 32 TWD, so that's about $3 a plate. For dinner I bought a large shawarma hoagie with cheese for 100 NT dollars from a street stall; the owner was an immigrant. On the plus side, fat chicks are rare in Taipei, since recreational eating is not a big thing here.
View attachment 5507
At the end of this river park was a food & alcohol court catering to local youth. Draft craft beers were $5.50. These kids aren't poor, that's for sure. You're not gonna slay by flaunting your wealth like a nigger. Overall, young Taiwanese are deferential and rather awkward/uptight in their interactions with foreigners, but if you smile and put yourself out there like Americans are expected to do, you should be able to break the ice.
View attachment 5508
This beef soup was pretty damn good and cost about $4.50. Tender flaky chunks of beef, noodles made in house. Broth wasn't no bouillon bullshit either.

Okay, hotels...they are not as cheap as Southeast Asia, but by Western standards, they are still a good deal. Expect to pay $35/night or more for a proper room anywhere in Taipei. Of course you can deal hunt and find substantial discounts. I have a room booked for tomorrow at a $20/night special rate, but it is across the river in Sanchong, which looks rather dull. And, the rate goes back to the typical $39/night the next day. Might as well cancel it and continue poorfagging in this huge, comfy hostel for $12.50/night. Not that coomers would care about hostels, but there are tons of them here in Taipei. Price does not always correlate to quality.
do you document your travels in a notebook or something

do you document your travels in a notebook or something
Yeah, I keep a journal and log expenses too
Five months or 144 days in Southeast Asia cost me 3696 USD, not including $519 spent on beer and weed and not including future Taiwan expenses.
All flights to/from USA cost me 1835 USD.
4chan rangebanned this wifi, otherwise I'd be posting on /trv/ and /pol/

Yeah, I keep a journal and log expenses too
Five months or 144 days in Southeast Asia cost me 3696 USD, not including $519 spent on beer and weed and not including future Taiwan expenses.
All flights to/from USA cost me 1835 USD.
4chan rangebanned this wifi, otherwise I'd be posting on /trv/ and /pol/
4chan is shit it’s too much work to keep up with conversations there

forums mog

any recommendations for writing travel journal? i just started on this most recent expedition to vietnam to prepare myself for a land trip from hong kong to london in a few weeks

Use polarsteps or a normal journal like dayone. I keep forgetting to document my trips
4chan is shit it’s too much work to keep up with conversations there

forums mog

any recommendations for writing travel journal? i just started on this most recent expedition to vietnam to prepare myself for a land trip from hong kong to london in a few weeks

I've been to Taipei and I liked it. It's another one that is better than SEA....indeed if people move from Bangkok to Taipei they'd have a better experience but almost all digital nomads are sheep and they follow the herd...they are too afraid to go to under the radar places (and Taipei isn't really under the radar btw)
Mainland China is better though, the nightlife there was just crazy

saw a lady of the night in an alley next to the railroad that passes by my hotel
maybe 33 years old, heart-shaped face, wearing a modest black dress, she smiled at me when I noticed her
didn't ask her price tho, I bet she's not cheap
Keelung is surprisingly lively for a small city, the night market here is bigger and better than the one I visited in Taipei
not as many single cuties as in Taipei tho, many of them here are accompanying their auntie or mom while shopping
Taiwanese don't have curious eyes, I got much more attention in Southeast Asia
plus, their eyes are so squinty and expressionless, it's hard to read a Chinese face
I've been to Taipei and I liked it. It's another one that is better than SEA....indeed if people move from Bangkok to Taipei they'd have a better experience but almost all digital nomads are sheep and they follow the herd...they are too afraid to go to under the radar places (and Taipei isn't really under the radar btw)
Mainland China is better though, the nightlife there was just crazy
high price of lodging compared to SEA and cold winter weather dissuade the dorkers
also, Taiwanese are very cool toward white foreigners, particularly in Taipei. not quite like Japanese, who perceive themselves superior to whites, but the people here definitely don't look up to white/American people and their culture like most of the brown world does.
of course, the cultural barrier can be surmounted, but there is also a severe language barrier. Taiwanese are far less English fluent than I expected, on par with Thais...
Expats like to go places where people are eager for their presence (and their money), even if it means putting up with Third World bullshit.
IMG 20240401 135712

@marauder @JustGo y’all two both were in taipei when the earthquake happened? how did you cope
Didn’t even notice it was sleeping pretty deep during that time tbh, although my apartment is pretty high up and a new building. And everything was normal in Taipei after like 20 mins of thing, they didn’t even close the schools/offices and stuff. But got a lot of messages from Japanese/Korean girls asking if I’m fine, which was quite sweet.

IMG 0958

Didn’t even notice it was sleeping pretty deep during that time tbh, although my apartment is pretty high up and a new building. And everything was normal in Taipei after like 20 mins of thing, they didn’t even close the schools/offices and stuff. But got a lot of messages from Japanese/Korean girls asking if I’m fine, which was quite sweet.

View attachment 5604
the fuck, you slept through it? what kind of drugs were you on?
I was already awake when it hit. my sixth floor room in Keelung was rocking pretty nice, I trusted the building's integrity, but some plaster fell on my desk and some pretty good cracks developed in the walls

the fuck, you slept through it? what kind of drugs were you on?
I was already awake when it hit. my sixth floor room in Keelung was rocking pretty nice, I trusted the building's integrity, but some plaster fell on my desk and some pretty good cracks developed in the walls
too much fucking as chad

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back